Tuesday 31 May 2011

Getting More serious about training

After a nice 4 mile long walk today, I have decided that I need to get a lot more serious about my training. I need to get as fit if not fitter then when I did the Triathlon which means more swimming, more cycling and going back to running, though I'm quite happy to replace a lot of the running with much longer walking. I also need to throw in a lot more mountain days and better still, back to back mountain walking. 3-4 days of continuous stuff. This is not childs play you know!

I've decided that I need to walk to and from work everyday. It's an 8 mile round trip which will take me and hour each way. That's a lot of time but I hope to use it productively revising for my Arabic exams! That will be 40 miles per week if I do it everyday, which, I probably won't because I still would like to cycle in a bit. Then I will pick a few weekends to go mountain walking.

The swimming is the other thing that should really help my cardio and it will also help sort my muscles out somewhat. I just need to stop being a lazy ass and get myself to the pool. Best thing is, it's completely free to swim in Birmingham so there really isn't an excuse.

On top of this, I have made another 'training' decision... wait for it.....


... I've decided to cut down, and then cut out caffeine completely. WHAT!?.... Yup, I think I am quite heavily dependant on it which affects my body and messes my head up which, I don't really want happening at nearly 6000 metres. I think my body is okay to climb a big mountain physically, the only thing that really worries me is getting altitude sickness. You see, sometimes, it doesn't matter how fit you are, you body just cannot cope with the change at altitude. Nobody knows this until they get there which is the worst thing about it! That said, I'd certainly like to give myself the best possible chance by being as efficient as possible.

I only have June and July to do any training now because Ramadan will be through the whole month of August so I will only be continuing with the walking then.

Anyway, I've got to raise lots of money before that so if you're reading this and haven't yet donated please visit

www.justgiving.com/malikilimanjaro

and make a donation.

No comments:

Post a Comment